Sunday, January 2, 2011

52 weeks / 52 books


Hey there Marauders!
Prongs here bringing you something that I think is going to be one of the best things of my 2011 year. Recently, I was stumbling along my favorite site - Reddit/books - when I saw the idea for doing '52 Books in 52 Weeks'. Did you catch that? It means 1 book a week! On top of that, people were doing fun craft projects of printing out covers of their list and putting them on a deck of cards! ADORABLE!? As I am a sucker for lists, and because I am trying to develop a set reading schedule to carry me out past graduation, I have decided to play along.

That's right friends... yours truly will be plowing through 1 whole book a week and then crossing it off the wonderful list I have provided you. We would LOVE to see some people play along, but we know this could be quite a commitment. I decided to break my suit categories up into different generes, but you could do it how ever you please! I have seen some people order their 2-K in order of hardest/fattest books.

At the start of every week I will be drawing a random card from my deck (and as long as it's not in the middle of a series) and that will be my book for that week! Helps keep it somewhat unbiased on my part.

Make sure to click the brand new tab at the top (^^^^ up there^^^^) to see my progress as well as find links to reviews and pictures along the way.

Here's to 2011! Let's hope I don't quit on week 2.
Italics - Currently Reading
Bold - Finished

(Diamonds) Fiction
Ace: WILD!! - White Jazz - Ellroy
2: Everything is Illuminated - Foer
3: The Blind Assassin - Atwood
4: Blood Meridian - McCarthy
5: Bad Things Happen - Dolan
6: The Book Theif - Zuask
7: World War Z - Brooks
8: Invisible Cities - Calvino
9: The Yiddish Policeman's Union - Chabon
10: Music for Torching - Homes
J: This is Where I leave You - Trooper
Q: Nemesis - Roth
K: Great House - Nicole Krauss

(Hearts) Non Fiction
Ace: WILD!!
2: The Naked and the Dead - Mailer
3: The Icarus Syndrom - Beinart
4: The Lost City of Z - Grann
5: The Accidental Billionares - Marrich
6: Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Skloot
7: Stiff - Roach
8: Rework - Fried
9: The Warmth of Other Suns - Wilkerson
10: The Devil and Sherlock Holmes - Grann
J: The Glass Castle - Walls
Q: Rise of Theodore Roosevelt - Morris
K: On Writing - King

(Clubs) Short Stories/Collections
Ace: WILD!!
2: My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me - Bernheimer
3: Machine of Death - North
4: The New York Trilogy - Auster
5: Stranger Things Happen - Link
6: What Will the World look Like When all the Water Leaves Us: Van den Berg
7: Full Dark, No Stars - King
8: A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
9: The Martian Chronicles - Bradbury
10: Sherlock Homes Collection - Doyle
J: The Elephant Vanishes - Murakami
Q: Smoke and Mirrors - Gaiman
K: Jesus' Son - Johnson

(Spades) Graphic Novels/Series
Ace: WILD!! --- DEATH NOTE - Tsugumi Ohba (WEEK 3)
2: Blankets - Thompson
3: Hunger Games - Collins (week 2)
4: Catching Fire - Collins
5: Mockingjay - Collins
6: Girl who Played with Fire - Larsson
7: Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Larsson
8: Drinking at the Movies - Julia Wertz
9: Oryx and Crake - Atwood
10: The Year of the Flood - Atwood
J: Watchmen - Moore
Q: Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes -Gaiman
K: Darkness Take My Hand - Lehane

12 comments:

  1. I love this idea!!!!! Seriously love it. I don't think I could restrict myself to specific books, but if I put all my classics and all my modern books into cards and then draw randomly for my book each week (one from each stack) then that would be perfect! Especially in weeks when I'm not sure which to read next. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like it!!! I am SO BAD about playing favorites with authors, and since I am ready to get serious about my reading habits (graduating and real world..eeek) this is the best way I could find to help me lock in a schedule-- force me to pick up some titles I might try to ignore. I would loveeee to see a list if you come up with on! You could even do a month by month basis?

    This doesn't include my HP re reads though! And I am sure I will occasionally pick up some other titles just for fun. These are just the ones I feel are top priority to get done during the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amanda - Plus I think it is going to be fun drawing the cards. I plan to start announcing them with pictures, and the cards I made make nice little book marks. Makes for a nice little surprise at the beg. of each week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read about 1/2 of Stiff. It's really fascinating.

    And, of course, Stieg Larrson is absolutely fabulous! I read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, off and on, in about 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Cary - Oh I'm really glad to heard that. I have read nothing by Roach and was having a hard time deciding which book to go with! I can't wait to get back to Larssons stuff, hopefully I don't draw that card too late in the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the cooler reading ideas I've ever seen - especially the part where you made your own deck of cards! Kudos to you - and good luck. Can't wait to keep up with your progress. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh this sounds cool! Best of luck!

    It looks like you're in for a good year of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see you took my Smoke & Mirrors idea! Good on you, I promise you won't regret it. Can't wait to read about (and eventually read, period) all these books :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This a great idea! I may have to steal/adapt it for myself, though - do you mind? :-)

    One question, though. Say you draw the five of spades without having already drawn the prior cards/books in the series? Just discard & re-draw?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Gabby - I totally took it!! It sounds perfect and i have been meaning to re-give Gaiman a try ever since he so graciously responded on twitter.

    @Biblio- Of courseee I don't mind!!!! I'd love to see how you interpret it to fit your schedule/interests. Like I think I mentioned in the post, others are doing completely different genres such as YA or Historical Fiction etc. The 4 categories I picked just worked best for what I was hoping to read.

    And yes that is exactly my plan. For the first week I had my mom draw the card, from now on I'll probably have my roomate do it, but yes if it is in the middle of the series or probably even the same author twice in a row (I have a few repeats Atwood, King) then I would re-draw. I'm going to try resisting redrawing as much as possible but I have a feeling if I draw 'the Naked and the Dead' during finals week... it might go back in the pile :0) Make sure to share the link if you do this as well so we can link back to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just stumbled upon this blog from reddit and I love this blog and this idea :)

    ReplyDelete

You solemnly swear you are up to no good...