Saturday, June 18, 2011

Summer readin' had me a blast!


Hey there Marauders. Padfoot and Prongs here bringing you a Saturday afternoon post. We figured since we are finally getting into the swing of summer, post graduation and mandatory reading assignments, we would celebrate the next few months of 'free reading' time with throwing up our list of planned books for the summer. Both Padfoot and Prongs have been trying to stretch their own literary canon by branching out in new authors, genres, and even mediums of literature.

Below you will find our combined list of fiction, non fiction, short stories, and graphic novels that we have on the TBR list for the next few months. Feel free to post your own list in comments, as well as any suggestions you might have for us. We would love to see your own Summer Reading posts, and if you decide to make one be sure to let us know so we can link you up.

Fiction:
American Gods - Neil Gaiman (BOOK CLUB CHOICE!)
Good Omens - Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Shutter Island - Dennis Lehane
Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet - Mitchell
The Book Thief - Zuask
Grat House - Krauss
The Snowman - Nesbo
Big Machine - LaValle
West of Here - Evison
The Painted Bird - Kosinski
White Teeth - Zadie Smith

Non-Fiction
The Warmth of Other Suns - Wilkerson
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Skloot
Rework - Fried
The Glass Castle - Walls
The Naked and the Dead - Mailer
Devil in the White City - Larsson

Short Story Collections
The Elephant Vanishes- Murakami
Smoke and Mirrors - Gaiman
The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury
Jesus' Son - Johnson
The New York Trilogy - Paul Auster
The Pugilist at Rest - Thom Jones
Stranger things Happen - Kelly Link

Manga/ Graphic Novels

The Sandman Collection - Neil Gaiman
Watchmen - Moore
Scott Pilgrim 'Precious Little Box Sex'
20th Century Boys (manga)
Pluto Series (manga)
Monster (manga)

That's it for us. A bit ambitious but should make for an amazing literary summer. Now its your turn. Lets see those TBR lists!

-mischief managed-

4 comments:

  1. White Teeth is okay. I feel like there are a few characters I was supposed to sympathise with who I actually thought were just raging narcissists, but it's an interesting enough read.

    Watchmen is really good - it's the only graphic novel I've read but I loved it. If you've seen the movie, though, prepare to be a bit surprised - the book is as a general rule better but they changed the ending for the movie, and IMO the movie ending makes a LOT more sense than the book ending.

    Looking forward to your thoughts, there are a few on there I've been meaning to read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Simbera - White Teeth is kind of one of my throw aways. Def. not one I am rushing to read in the list. I've heard amazing things about Watchmen, and I know it is one of the most important Graphic Novels out there. I have not seen the movie, I will have to watch it after I finish.

    We will def be doing constant reviews this summer so looking forward to some discussion as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks on your list; I read it earlier this spring and I struggled through it. I'm excited to hear what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should read all from that list

    ReplyDelete

You solemnly swear you are up to no good...