Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Little Bit of Thursday List Action

First of all.........Blogging>Class
Now that we have that covered...

Some of the best books we have read have stemmed back from our childhood. It is vitally important, especially in today's 'instant gratification' society, that we hold on to the things that really matter. Beloved childhood stories are one of those things. Parents do not realize the impact that the right books can have on a child for the rest of their lives. I know I would not be reading to the excess that I do today if it weren't for the stories about Harry, Alice, or Peter.
Here are our choices for the ten best children's books of all time:

1. Harry Potter series (obviously)"For future reference, Harry, it is raspberry...although of course, if I were a Death Eater, I would have been sure to research my own jam preferences before impersonating myself."
One of the most popular series of books in the world, and no doubt our favorite, Harry Potter has a following ranging from small kids to elder adults. J.K. Rowling's intricate story, and the emotional ties the fans have with her characters, make these books a must read.

2. The Chronicles of Narnia"There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."
Another popular fantasy series by C.S. Lewis, friend of J.R.R. Tolkien. Seven separate stories centered around the ficitional land of Narnia, where animals talk, and anything childlike and fantastical goes. Some of the best quotes in a children's story you can find; although we've used it in a previous blog, this quote is too good not to use again.

3. Alice in Wonderland"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?"
A very well known story, by Lewis Carroll, also a sort of trippy adventure. Although similiar to the classic Disney movie, there is a more powerful and intense feeling to the book.

4. Anne of Green Gables"People who haven't red hair don't know what trouble is."
Known for her dramatic line "I'm in the depths of despair," this character is one of Prong's favorites, and there is no doubt that she has used that line, with a faint hand to her forehead, in the most desperate of situations. (Prongs- like when I loose a shoe)

5. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh "Johnathan, wherever you are, your thoughts must comfort her tonight. She will be waiting, and you will not return."
If you've seen The Secret of Nimh movie, well here is it's origin. Another great book to read as a child, and then reread as an adult. A story about a widow-mouse struggling to find a way to save her sick child from being run over by a plow! Sound weird? Just read the book it's good.

6. The Phantom Tollbooth"...for one of the nicest things about mathematics, or anything else you might care to learn, is that many of the things which can never be, often are. You see it's very much like your trying to reach Infinity. You know that it's there, but you just don't know where-but just because you can never reach it doesn't mean that it's not worth looking for."
This book is filled with puns, wit, and a never-ending play-on-words. Reading this as a child, you'd see a delightful little adventure to go on, reading it as a adult however, you seems to get every allusion, joke, and mathematical equation. It's fun at either stage in your life.

7. Peter PanPeter: Oh, the cleverness of me. Wendy: Of course, I did nothing... Peter: You did a little.
Well, I loved the Disney movie of course, but reading the book is completely different. Peter is completely cocky, and oh boy is it hilarious. You still have your basic story of Neverland, never growing up, you know the basics. But Peter is quite the pistol in the book version. Highly recommended.

8. The Wind in the Willows"After all, the best part of a holiday is perhaps not so much to be resting yourself, as to see all the other fellows busy working."
A cute story to read when you feel like laying out on a summer day and getting lost in some crazy world where Moles talk. That happens to me a lot.

9. Charlotte's Web"What do you mean less than nothing? I don't think there is any such thing as less than nothing. Nothing is absolutely the limit of nothingness. It's the lowest you can go. It's the end of the line. How can something be less than nothing? If there were something that was less than nothing, then nothing would not be nothing, it would be something - even though it's just a very little bit of something. But if nothing is nothing, then nothing has nothing that is less than it is."
No doubt an endearing little story, yet another where animals talk! We all know the plot, let's get to the juicy lines:

10. Tuck Everlasting
"The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses it turning."
Tuck Everlasting is one of those books who's lessons you never forget. It asks the question that mot people have probably thought about one time or another: if you had the chance to live forever, would you? It has wonderful lessons and the writing is beautiful. Perfect kids, or even adults.

Now, to other matters...I proudly bought a copy of Mark Twain's The Guilded Age at our recent trip to The Ohio Book Store in Cincinnati. This copy was published in 1881 and it was only 7 dollars!!! And it's really pretty so I want to show it off....Ok folks, thanks so much for sticking around with us. Hope this was a nice little post to keep you going until our next two reviews. Be sure to stop back in the next few days for Padfoot's review of Hard Times, and Prongs review of The Crying of Lot 49. Have a great weekend.

-mischief managed-

11 comments:

  1. I love this list. I have to say I copied it down, for some of these I had never heard. I am so looking forward to reading these types of books to my little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've only read two books on this list. What in the world was I reading when I was reading children's books? I do remember reading a lot of Beverly Cleary and Bruce Coville books. I guess I liked sci-fi stuff even then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally never got into the Chronicles of Narnia, because I wasn't exposed to them until my last year in high school, where The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe was read aloud to my creative writing class in the same fashion that one might use with a kindergarten class. How irritating. That turned me off the Chronicles permanantly.

    On the other hand, books I treasure from my childhood include The Egypt Game, From the Mixed Up Files..., A Wrinkle in Time, Lois Lowry books, and more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent choices on the children's books. Each and every one is a treasure :)
    I can't believe you scored the book for only $7! Very cool!
    Mischief Managed (LOL) - Love how you do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harry Potter landed with a bang. Now everyone knows about it, has read a book from the series. I only managed to get to HP V, didn't know what happened after that LOL. I still watch the movies, though!

    Believe it or not, I haven't checked out Alice in Wonderland yet. I know I have too!

    I really love all the quotes you guys put after every picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea I've always wanted to read A Wrinkle in Time but never have!!

    Yea I love the Twain book...I definitely want to go back to The Ohio Book Store, it has a gorgeous illustrated copy of Paradise Lost for $150 that Prongs has been drooling over lol

    I can't believe you've stopped at 5!!!!! I could never put them down and when the next one's came out I read them each in less than 24 hours!!! hahaha you definitely have to read 6 and 7 because those are BY FAR the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. TUCK EVERLASTING WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS. Lol, I read all the Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House on the Prarie" novels. Lol. I'm such a booknerd. I miss yo facee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agree with so many of your choices ... and I'm going to FINALLY read Anne of Green Gables and Alice in Wonderland so they can go on my list as well! Awesome post (as always).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goood! I know you will love both....I (Padfoot) have not yet read Anne...Prongs is telling me I HAVE to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this list! Charlotte's Web made me weep when I first read it as a child. I still love the story of a pig and his friend the spider. Everytime I see a spider, to this day, I think about Charlotte's babies flying away on silk parachutes.

    May I add one novel to this list? I would like to add "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith. It's the story of first love, first disappointment, a deeply eccentric family all told through the eyes of a bright young writer. I was captivated by this novel and subsequently the lovely little movie starring Romola Garai and Rose Byrne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow we have never heard of it but it sounds fantastic! Definitely something to look for on our next half price trip! Thanks for the addition!

    ReplyDelete

You solemnly swear you are up to no good...