Tuesday, September 1, 2009

“Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live”

Hey there marauders! Hope your week has gotten off to a good start. Padfoot and Prongs here hoping to make it a little better. We are bringing you a short saucy update that is here to tickle the mind and ensnare the senses (Snape any one?) We recently stumbled upon a youtube video of one of our favorite poets, reading one of our favorite poems!! So for this Tuesday we present you with:

To The Whore who Took my Poems by Charles Bukowski!


some way we should keep personal remorse from the poem,
stay abstract, and there is some reason in this,
but jezus;
tweleve poems gone and I don't keep carbons and you have my paintings too,
my best ones; its stifiling:
are you trying to crush me out like the rest of them?
why didn't ou take my money? they usually do?
from the sleeping drunken pants sick in the corner.
next time take my left arm on a fifty
but not my poems:
I'm not Shakespeare
but sometime simply
there won't be any more, abstract or otherwise;
there'll always be money and whores and drunkards
down to the last bomb,
but as God said,
crossing his legs,
I see where I have made plenty of poets
but not so very much poetry.



From Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame
Selected poems 1955 - 1973
Black Sparrow Press, 1986.
First published in:
It Catches My Heart in Its Hands, 1963.

6 comments:

  1. Hey guys :) I don't like this one. He's too bitter :( Life is too short to harbor bitterness. He makes me sad :(

    I still love you two though.

    Best Always!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha aww sorry Chic.Yea I guess this wasn't the most uplifting poem. I can't help but chuckle any time I hear it though. I guess I just find humor in the situation of a woman stealing his poems over his money, and then him writing a poem for her. Only someone like Bukowski would have that happen haha. Hope you have a good day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bukowski, misogyny aside, is still very entertaining.

    You guys are the recipient of the lemonade accolade:

    And now you're the recipient of the Lemonade accolade:

    http://misfitsalon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this. So he's sad and it's a depressing kind of a poem. But life sometimes is sad! It is great to have a wickedly witty way of saying "you took my life you thief, how dare you." He values his poetry more than his money or even his arm. Anyone who writes can relate to this, I think. Absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the only Bukowski i've read is Ham On Rye. my vague impression is that his work is either very good or very bad, depending on how dtunk he was at the time. what's a good book of his poetry to start out with?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I found some great poetry books entitled Bukowski poetry 1-4. I found them at half price actually so I might check there first. Esp book 3, it has some seriously amazing poems. And I agree that it is either very good or very bad... now that begs the question as to how booze played into it!!

    ReplyDelete

You solemnly swear you are up to no good...