Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tattoo Tuesday : Catcher in the Rye


Hey there marauders. Welcome to our 3rd installment of 'Tattoo Tuesdays.' For those of you who missed last week, Tattoo Tuesday is a weekly feature (hosted by our good friend Tara over at 25hourbooks) where we feature different literary tattoos worn by those hardcore book nerds out there.

This weeks tattoo comes to us from 'Contrariwise Tattoo' where you can find a wide range of literary tattoos that is sure to help fill that void between Tuesdays. Today we are featuring a tattoo from J.D.Salinger's Catcher in the Rye. While this has never actually been a book that has ranked high with your beloved marauders, that doesn't take away from the fact that this tattoo is one of the best we have ever seen.

historypoetry

historypoetry2

Here is what Becca, the tattoo owner had to say:

"My tattoo is a quote from the 'Catcher in the Rye' spoken by Mr. Antolini. I’m not really a huge fan of the book itself, but this quote really sums up how I feel about learning." <---- We feel the same way Becca. Although the book isn't one of our favorites, the sentiment sure is.

“Among other things, you’ll find that you’re not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You’re by no means alone on that score, you’ll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept record of their troubles. You’ll learn from them – if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It’s a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn’t education. It’s history. It’s poetry.

- Excerpt from Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

Alright folks that is all for this Tuesday. Don't be to remiss for we will return next and every Tuesday with a brand new literary tattoo for your viewing pleasure. Make sure to check out Tara's blog, as well as vote for the Battle of the Bards battle of the week!

-mischief managed-

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Really great tattoo! I love the placement, font, quote... great choice this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking for awhile now about what tattoo I would get if I were to get a literary tattoo (I currently I have 2 tattoos) and I would get a quote from Othello, my favourite Shakespeare play.

    "Keep up your bright swords for the dew will rust them! (Act 1, Scene 2)

    I have loved it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the style of this tattoo. And what a dramatic photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like literature but not sure if I'd have it stamped on me forever. But I suppose it's better than Daffy Duck or naked women or all the other cheesy stuff people plaster all of their bodies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha yes I love to see tattoos that have a real meaning to the owner over arbitrary pictures or god forbid 'tribal tattoos'. I have 2 lines of poetry on my wrist and it has been an infinite source of inspiration, so I guess it depends on just how important the message is to the person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tattoo! I've never read the book, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Korean - Haha thanks!! I think it is cool as well.

    @Carol - Honestly the main character really bugs me. Its basically one of those books you realize as a teen and feel comforte to know your not the only angsty one in the world. However I was not an angsty teen so it just came off as obnoxious to me. However I do love that quote, personally the best line in the book to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful tattoo. mischief managed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite novels. That quote is definitely one of the best that stuck out to me.

    ReplyDelete

You solemnly swear you are up to no good...